Hacktoberfest is just around the corner

With Hacktoberfest only a few days away, it's never been a better time to get involved in the open source community and be part of the hackathon. The Hacktoberfest team is even giving away prizes for participants, so there really isn't any reason for anyone not to join.

This event is a great opportunity for beginners and experienced programmers to get involved and actually contribute on real open source projects that are being used in the industry. The main tools we will be using is Github,  and with my limited experience i knew that i needed to set some goals for my self to try and improve my skill. Just like anything else, the best way to get better at anything is to practice as much as possible. By the end of this event id like be confident enough to be able to file issues and bugs on projects that i like and actually try and fix those problems my self in such a way that my pull requests will get accepted. Id also like to try and expand my knowledge on different programming languages that i know, because so far in school i've only learned a few.


I like iOS app development, so after doing a bit of research and browsing Github looking for interesting projects that i could tribute to, i found a couple of promising projects that i will link at the bottom of this blog. Due to my limited experience with Github and just lack of experience in the industry, i chose small projects that had bugs and issues that i felt confident enough to give them a shot. After looking through the issues tab of the projects i found a few bugs that i wanted have a look at, so i commented on the ticket asking if i could work on it. The next step is to fork the projects into my Github and start going over the issues and seeing if i can replicate the bugs and more importantly, if i can fix the issue in the most effective way.

I think this will be a great learning experience for me, and if all goes well, it will actually give back to the open source community. I don't expect to become the best programmer after all this, but as long as i'm better than i was the previous day, i'll be happy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding issues by accident

Filing issues and pull requests using git hub